Through Government Regulation No. 07 1961 the University of Diponegoro was officially established as state university in October 15, 1960 (this date is set as the anniversary of Diponegoro University).
The Faculties that existed that time was as follow:
- Faculty of Law and Community Knowledge, which consist of two parts:
a. Law Section
b. Social Politics Section
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Teacher Training and Education in Semarang with its branch in Surakarta.
Before becoming a full faculty in University of Diponegoro, the Faculty of Social and Politics has been developing for 12 (twelve) years.
In essence, the embryo of the Faculty of Social and Politics existed since the establishment of the Faculty of Law and Public Knowledge (FHPM) at University of Semarang on 1st March 1957; and in accordance with Government Regulation No. 7 of 1961 dated March 21, 1961, on the Establishment of Diponegoro University Semarang, the Academy of State Administration was temporarily included as a Social and Political section within the Faculty of Law and Community Knowledge.
Attempts to establish a separated Faculty of Social and Politics has started since 1962 by forming "Preparatory Committee for the Formation of Faculty of Social and Politics Diponegoro University", based on Decree of Presidential Official of Diponegoro University No. 28 / c dated January 6, 1962 with the composition of the committee as follows :
- Chairman: Drs. Sukardjan Hadisutikno
- Secretary: Drs. Fajar
- Members: 1. Drs. Hartoyo | 2. M. Marsono
However, in order to accelerate the establishment of Faculty of Social and Politics requires an input and or a more comprehensive thinking was highly needed. For that, through the Decision of Rector of Diponegoro University. 41 / Skpt / SKJ / 1968, dated August 18, 1968 the Preparatory Committee for the Formation of Faculty of Social and Political Science Diponegoro University recruits more members. The complete members of the Preparatory Committee consisted of:
Chairman: Drs. Sukardjan Hadisutikno
Secretary: Drs. Fajar
Members: 1. Drs. Hartoyo | 2. M. Marsono | 3. Drs. Soetomodradjat | 4. Drs. Kuncoro Hadi | 5. Satjipto Rahardjo, SH
Finally, the aspiration is realized through the issuance of Decree of the Director General of Higher Education No. 116 of 1968 dated December 9, 1968 on the separation of FHPM to become:
- Faculty of Law.
- Faculty of Social and Politics, effectively opened from 1 January 1969. The faculty of Social Politics was established with several study program which are: State Administration, Government, and Publicity (now Communication Science). Then in 1970 the Faculty opened the Department of Business Administration.
Based on the Decree of Rector of UNDIP No. 08 / SKPT09 / 1983 dated 6 January 1983 the Faculty of Social and Politics was changed into to the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences (FISIP). With the Departments / Study Programs as follows:
1. Department of Administrative Sciences
a. State Administration Study Program
b. Business Administration Study Program
2. Department of Governmental Science
a. Department of Communication Studies
3. Department of MKDU
On the development of the Department of MKDU, it was changed into UPT-MKU since 1995 and finally separated from the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of UNDIP under the supervision of Vice Rector I.
In order to fulfill the interest of the community for equity in learning opportunities, through the: Rector Decree No. 280 / SK / PT07 / 1993 dated October 27, 1993 Regular II program was opened for majors / study programs of : State Administration, Business Administration, Governmental Science, and Communication Science;
Decree of the Director General of Higher Education No. 234 / DIKTI / Kep / 1997 dated August 5, 1997 on the establishment of D-III Communication Science;
Letter of the Director General of Higher Education. 1818 / D / T / 2001 dated May 29, 2001, concerning the granting of license for the organization of D-III of Land Science and D-III Program of Regional Finance.
Letter of the Director General of Higher Education. 2361 / D / T / 2001 dated July 11, 2001, concerning the granting of license for the implementation of D.III Marketing program;
Letter of the Director General of Higher Education. 3164 / D / T / 2005 dated September 28, 2005, concerning the granting of license for the organization of D-III Program of Office Administration and Secretary.
Decree of the Minister of National Education Number 285 / E / O / 2011 dated December 9, 2011 on the implementation of International Relations Program.
In its development, based on the Decree of Rector UNDIP No 609 2011, graduate program was integrated to the faculty. Therefore, in 2014 FISIP Undip also manages postgraduate program which includes:
- Master of Administration Science
- Master of Political Science
- Master of Communication Science
- Doctor of of Public Administration
- Doctoral of Social Sciences
The vision of Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of Diponegoro University is "To be an excellent Faculty in the Field of Social and Politics in 2020"
- To increase the quantity and quality of education, to produce qualified graduates capable to compete at the national and international level,
- To increasing the quantity and quality of research for the development of social and political science,
- To increase the quantity and quality of community service by utilizing scientific and technological competence for community empowerment,
- To increase the quantity and quality of national and international networks in education, research and community service.
The purposes of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences are:
- To produce graduates competent in politics, public administration, business administration, communications, international relations.
- To produce graduates with entrepreneurial spirit.
- To produce graduates with professional attitude.
- To develop academic and non-academic programs in accordance with the development of science and technology, the needs and demands of society.
- To develop information system in accordance with the development of Science and Technology.
- To create a professional, capable, and accountable faculty governance.